To build an abundant life, you must be willing to invest in yourself.
I’ve been thinking a lot about this topic as I plan and execute my goals. At different steps, I am confronted with skills that I need to learn, trainings I need to attend, lessons that I need to un-learn, and services that I need to contract out.
The more that I grow my business, the more I pivot and make changes, and the more that I dream, plan, and execute is the more that I begin to see that investing in myself is necessary to curate the life and business that I want.To build an abundant life, you must be willing to invest in yourself. Click To Tweet
What Does It Mean to Invest in Yourself?
Investing in yourself requires you to first humble yourself. You must be willing to let go of your ego and become teachable.
Life is about movement, evolution, and growth. Hence, it is impossible to remain stagnant. You are either moving forward or going backward, you choose which direction you want to go in.
When you have clarity about what you want to do with your life, you will become aware of the gap between where you are now and where you want to be. Therefore, you will need to grow, to stretch, to develop, to learn, and un-learn habits, skills, thoughts, attitudes, and behaviors so that you can achieve the dreams that you have.
And to do this, you must invest in yourself. You must begin to create space to learn all the things that you need to help you get to your dreams.
Here are 3 Reasons Why It’s Necessary to Invest in Yourself:
- You don’t know everything – As much as we want to think that we do, we really don’t know everything. If you try to be a jack-of-all-trades, you won’t be an expert in anything. It is imperative that you focus and build on your strengths and seek assistance from experts in the fields and services that you need.
- Betting on yourself – This is one of the best investments that you could ever make in your life. We all have so much potential lying dormant within us. Creativity is a birthright because we are made in God’s image. But often, we do not take advantage of the gifts that we have. We leave them lying dormant and never take the opportunity to uncover them, much less to develop them.
- Your life is not about you – This may be a hard truth to swallow, but it is the truth. Each person has been gifted by God with the ability to answer a need in the world. Investing in yourself helps you live out your purpose and answer the call that God has on your life.
Your purpose is to advance God’s kingdom and serve Him through serving others. You cannot do this when you have not taken the time to learn the skills that you need, released the behaviors that no longer serve you, and embrace the bigger purpose that you were created for.
4 Ways to Invest in Yourself
Let’s look at 4 ways that you can invest in yourself. I’ve chosen to look at various areas of our lives because I believe in holistic wellness.
- Personal – It is easy to only focus on big steps and big goals, but small consistent behaviors will always be more successful. Create habits that build self-esteem, regulate emotions, and manage stress. These habits may include exercise and movement, journaling, therapy, reading, healthy eating, prayer, meditation, and breathing exercises.
- Relationships – Your relationships are an extension of you. They add meaning, purpose, and clarity to your life. The ones that do not do this, eventually fade away.
Therefore, you must spend time investing in your relationships so that you can embrace holistic wellness.Your relationships reflect who you are and where you are in life. If you desire success, you must invest in your relationships to have successful relationships, and by extension a successful life.
- Professional – The best thing that you can do for yourself professionally is to keep sharpening your skills. This means that you must be willing to take a class, attend a workshop, seek coaching, attend a networking event, among other things. You must be willing to put yourself outside of your comfort zone so that you are stretched in different ways. This is the process of growth. We do not grow in our comfort zones.
- Financial – Setting financial goals is essential when investing in yourself. You’ve spent time crafting the characteristics that you want for yourself, you’ve taken the time to develop the skills you need for a successful life, so it is necessary to understand how you will make your money work for you. Financial goals allow you to have control over your life and your time. You do not have control over the economy. However, you have control over the financial decisions you make.
Get Started Now…
I hope that this post helps you to think about you can begin investing in yourself. You are the one thing in the world that you have full control over. Added to this fact, you get one chance at this life. How can you fully live your life for your time left on this planet?