Mental Health Facts for the black community from Mental Health America
• African Americans are 20% more likely to report having serious psychological distress than adult whites.
• African Americans are more likely to have feelings of sadness, hopelessness, and worthlessness than are adult whites.
• While African Americans are less likely than white people to die from suicide as teenagers, African American teenagers are more likely to attempt suicide than are white teenagers.
• African Americans of all ages are more likely to be victims of serious violent crime than are non-Hispanic whites.
• African Americans are twice as likely as non-Hispanic whites to be diagnosed with schizophrenia.
Statistics taken from Mental Health America.